Height difference:300 m
- Starting-point: Valcroce/Kreuztal (2050 mt.)
- At a glance: Valcroce/Kreuztal - Malga del Cavallo/Rossalm - Rifugio Schatzer - Skihütte - Val Croce
- Altitude difference: 300 mt.
- Highest point: Malga del Cavallo/Rossalm(2200 mt.)
- Difficulty: three climbing-boots hike *
We go by cableway from S. Andrea in Monte/St. Andrä (above Bressanone/Brixen) to Val Croce/Kreuztal (2050 mt.; can be reached by car too). Once arrived we take footpath number 17 going south-eastwards to the commercial road that reaches the eastern alpine pastures.
At a road fork we follow path 17 A on our left to go first to the old Malga del Cavallo/Rossalm and then to the new Malga del Cavallo/Rossalm (2200 mt.; refreshment available), located about 1 hour far from Val Croce/Kreuztal. Proceeding on our way (east-northeast) we pass along a ski-lift station, the waterfalls of Schnatzgraben and finally we meet footpath number 4. This one crosses Gablers's steep western slope in south direction; the very steep stretches and the rocky ones are now secured with the ironways. Again on footpath number 4 we go down across the fields till the huts/tablelands road and its junction with footpath number 8 (a bit more eastwards there is the Enzianhütte - refreshment available; 1967 mt.). Now footpath number 8 takes us wesawards to the "Almwirtschaftsweg" until the Skihütte (1900 mt.). Here we go up along footpath number 17 till the high-mountain footpath that goes to Valcroce/Kreuztal (about 2 hours far from the Rifugio Schatzer).
Useful advice: the Alta Via Dolomiti has one of the best panoramic views of the whole Dolomites range. The first part of this high-mountain path (going to the Malga del Cavallo/Rossalmand back takes 2 hours) can be undertaken by families because it's very easy. Unforgettable view on the Dolomites!
* Three climbing-boots hikes: medium/hard hikes; length approximately between 2 and 4 hours; some ascents and descents; footpaths often are covered with gravel; some rough terrain; steepness up to 400 metres; suitable gear and anti-slide boots.