The Pyramids of Segonzano or Earth Pyramids rise in the municipality of Segonzano, in the Valle di Cembra valley, along the bed of the Alvisio stream. The pyramids are a geologic phenomenon unique in the whole Trentino region: rows of earth columns reaching 20 meters of height, almost all capped by a porphyry rock. These works of art created by nature attract scientists and tourists from all over the world. Paying a ticket you can visit them all year round by following the trail that leads you through the site.
The earth sculptures of Trentino: the Pyramids of Segonzano
The Pyramids of Segonzano are a work of art forged by elements about 50 thousand years ago, when glacial sedimentation was eroded by the combined action of running water, rain and wind, thus creating these impossibly balanced natural pinnacles.
The Pyramids of Segonzano have a gold yellow color and rise together like organ pipes. These cone-shaped natural sculptures topped by a rock resemble giants with fancy hairstyles and are called by locals omeni da tera (earth men).
The site features different types of pyramids: spiked pyramids, without the caprock, or ridged pyramids, with the typical jagged profile.
At the feet of the pyramids grows a thick bed of moss, leaves and roots slowing down water erosion.
An easy trail equipped with rest stops and panoramic viewpoints leads visitors around the site of the Pyramids of Segonzano.
Since 2011 the municipality fixed an entry ticket fee (€3 for adults) to the earth pyramids, with discounts for schools and groups. According to season, the ticket office is open during public holidays or every day, from 9 am to 6 pm.
How to get there:
- From Baselga di Pinè: take the SP83, direction Trento, and after about 3-4 km turn right at the junction of Segonzano
- From Brusago di Pinè take the road to Valcava at the left of the church and go on until you reach the junction with the SP71. From here follow directions to Segonzano
- From Trento go east and enter the Fersina valley towards Civezzano-Cavalese. At the junction of Pergine turn in the direction of Civezzano and follow directions to Segonzano
Infos and tickets:
From 25 April to 31 October
Full price: € 3.00
Reduced: € 2.00 (groups of visitors of at least 20 paying people, adults over 65 years of age)
Reduced young people and school groups: € 1.00 (school groups, children from 6 years up to the age of 14)
Free: residents in the Municipality of Segonzano; children up to the age of 6; handicapped; accompanying school groups / tour guides and the territory; Guest Card holder
Ticket office hours:
From 25 April to 1 May and from 1 June to 30 September: open every day
From 2 May to 31 May and in October: open on Saturdays, Sundays and midweek holidays
- Monday and Tuesday: 9.00 am - 1.00 pm / 1.30 pm - 5.30 pm
- Wednesday, Thursday, Friday: 9.00 am - 5.00 pm
- Saturday and Sunday: 9.00 am -12.00 am /1.30 pm - 6.00 pm
October, Saturday and Sunday: 9.00 am - 1.00 pm / 1.30 pm - 5.30 pm
For further information: Comune di Segonzano tel. (+39) 0461 686103 - A.p.T. Piné Cembra tel. (+39) 0461 683110