Monteleone Castle, also known as Lebenberg Castle, overlooks the village of Cermes, a stone's throw from Lana and Merano in South Tyrol. Considered one of the most beautiful and largest castles in the Burggrafenamt region, Monteleone Castle today welcomes visitors to its enchanting inner courtyards and French-style gardens, leading to finely furnished rooms with wooden ceilings, Venetian mirrors and rococo interiors.
Monteleone Castle was built in 1260 by the Lords of Marlengo; it later passed into the hands of the Fuchs von Fuchsberg family, who transformed it into an imposing fortress, protected by walls, only part of which can be seen today. After the family died out, the building changed hands several times until it was bought by the Dutch family of Cornelius van Rossem, who still own it today.
More than the exterior architecture, Monteleone Castle impresses with its interiors: the Rococo Hall of Mirrors; the Knights' Hall, where there is a painting of the Fuchs family tree with 246 portraits; the farmers' rooms, the Napoleonic-style room with a majolica stove and the weapons room.
Finally, the three-storey chapel of St. Stephen from the 14th century, in which valuable frescoes have been found, is not to be forgotten.
Easter - October with daily guides
Mondays - Saturdays from 10.30 a.m. to 12.30 p.m. and from 2 p.m. to 4.30 p.m.
Via Monte Leone 15
T +39 320 401 851 1