The Gardens of Sissi in the Trauttmansdorff Castle are located in Merano, where a mild climate and a wealth of southern vegetation can sometimes work wonders. Already around the middle of the 19th century, physicians took advantage of this when they were treating spa guests seeking recreation. The most prominent visitor was the Austrian empress Sissi, who actually used Trauttmansdorff Castle as her winter residence.
Today, the botanic garden extends around this historical building, with an area of 12 hectares divided in more than 80 gardens featuring a collection of plants from all over the world and surrounded by a wonderful scenery. The botanic garden stretches over a height difference of more than 100 meters and forms a natural terraced amphitheatre from where you can enjoy a wonderful view of the surrounding Alpine landscape, of the beautiful spa resort of Merano, and of the exotic and Mediterranean world of the botanical garden itself.
2019 Opening Hours
- Season's beginning 1st April: 9.00 am
- 1st April –15th October: 9:00 am - 7:00 pm (last admission 5:30 pm)
- 16th October - 31st October: 9.00 am - 6.00 pm (last admission 4:30 pm)
- 1st November –15th November: 9:00 am - 5:00 pm (last admission 3:30 pm)
- All Fridays of June, July and August: 9:00 am – 11:00 pm (last entrance 9:30 pm)
- Open 7 days a week
- No animals allowed