Holiday region Three Peaks/3 Zinnen in the Dolomites is rich in peaks and valleys covered with that fresh and powdery snow which is particularly appreciated and sought by ski mountaineers. Ski mountaineering requires humility, sense of the limits and caution; sportsmen must be aware that they are approaching the mountain in one of the most beautiful but also one of the most dangerous seasons.
The ski mountaineering schools in Dobbiaco hold their courses in the practice slope of the Rienza track; while more expert skiers can go down the slopes on Monte Elmo, and maybe the black track Monte Elmo- Versciaco with a 4800-m long slope as well.
The birthplace of Patrick Holzer also boasts several training tracks, where the World champion Marc Girardelli used to ski and where many national teams train, every season.
Other ski touring itineraries are:
- the ascent to Picco di Vallandro (from Braies to Prato Piazza);
- the ascent to Oberbachernspitze;
- the ascent to mount Popera;
- the tours in Val Fiscalina, Val Sassovecchio and Val Campodidentro.
- From Prato Piazza, you can perhaps ski under the gloomy Croda Rossa, while from the lake of Braies you can easily climb the long Val della Foresta valley, with the possibility of ending your trip either in San Vigilio di Marebbe or in Valdaora.