The Chartreuse of Vedana, at the foot of the homonymous mountain, is a large building the structure of which reminds one of that of a fortress or a castle.
The place is peaceful and relaxing, an oasis of meadows and fields. The original 1155 hospice - Ospizio di San Marco - was turned into a chartreuse in 1456. A large cloister was added in 1521. The Republic of Venice closed it in 1768, but French Carthusian monks later reopened and held it until 1977. Nowadays, a sisterhood of cloistered nuns lives there. A small lake extends nearby, surrounded by moraininc heaps partially overgrown. On the altars of the Chartreuse there are two valuable canvases by Sebastiano Ricci - "Jesus's baptize" and "Madonna with Child between St Bruno and St Ugo" - while a remarkable tabernacle is attributed to Andrea Brustolon. The main altar features a 1610 canvas by Francesco Frigimelica. The Relics' Chapel is exquisitely decorated and arouses visitors' admiration. The 16th century small cloister with a well in the centre is well-proportioned and really beautiful. We cannot forget that Vedana is the birthplace of Girolamo Segato (1792-1837), traveller, cartographer and naturalist who became famous after discovering a process of petrifaction of human and animal body tissues.