From an artistic point of view, many are the interesting places in Cortina, starting from the parish church of the Saints Filippo and Giacomo and its bell tower. The church was built at the end of the XVIII century and nowadays it keeps some precious treasures, such as the tabernacle, carved in 1703 by Andrea Brustolon, and the vault frescoed by Francesco A. Zeiler (1716-1793). The bell tower, on the contrary, was built between 1851 and 1858 on the project of Silvestro Franceschi and can be seen from any point of the Ampezzo valley. Built in dolomia stone, it is 71 metres high and a globe of one-metre diameter, and covered with a gold leaf, is at its top. A curiosity: the carillon of its watch reproduces the sound of London Big Ben.
In San Francesco Church, which belongs to the old Costantini-Tor family, a fresco representing many saints in an architecture of niche and capitals, dated up to the XIII century has been discovered.
Whereas in the Church of the "Madonna della Difesa", built in 1400 and then restored in 1743, people can admire the interesting Rococo sculptures and other frescoes by Francesco A. Zeiler.
The Ciasa de ra Regoles, in Corso Italia, had been the administrative office of the "Regole d'Ampezzo", a Longobard institution, still alive in nowadays Cortina. It is an association of families (about 800), descending from the old Ampezzo stock, who run the woods and pastures of the valley. Nowadays this building is the seat of the renowned "Musei delle Regole", divided into three sections. The first one guests the Palaeontology Museum R. Zardini, worldwide famous for the fossils the Ampezzo researcher Rinaldo Zardini found in the Dolomites. The second section guests the Ethnographic Museum, which collect the evidences of a culture based on agriculture and sheep-breeding, which gave birth to specialized art schools of wrought iron, worked cupper, and in the production of silver filigree objects, wooden furniture and ornaments carved with mother-of-pearl and metal wires. And then, the third one is the seat of the M. Rimoldi modern art collection, one of the most important in Italy. Since 1923 Rimoldi had collected paintings and sculptures of some of the main Italian artists of the XX century, from De Pisis to Sironi.
At the northern end of Corso Italia you can see the Ciasa de i Pupe, a building whose façade had been embellished by the Gedina brothers' frescoes (XIX century), representing the Muses of painting, music and poetry.
In Cortina, art is not only an heritage of the past, since it still continues nowadays thanks to the Istituto Statale d'Arte. it was founded in 1846 as drawing school, when Ampezzo still belonged to the Austrian Empire, and now it is a first-class school, where some extraordinary wooden, carving, wrought iron and fabric craftsmen studied.