Stenico is one of the oldest castles in Trentino, and is an important example of the evolution of a stronghold. Through the centuries, the castle had became a symbol of the temporal power of the bishops, second only to the Buonconsiglio Castle in Trent.
The first document where the castle is mentioned is dated back to 1163. This wonderful example of medieval architecture rises upon Stenico village. For many centuries it guarantees the political and military power of the prince government on the Giudicarie area. Through the centuries it changed a lot and it shows evidences of different periods with influences from the XI to the XIX centuries.
In the Middle Ages it had been property of the bishop prince Enrico of Metz (XIV century), of the prince Giovanni Hinderbach (XV century) and, during the Renaissance, of the cardinal Bernardo Cles, to whom the frescoes in the Renaissance style are due.
Today, the StenicoCastle houses sixteenth and eighteenth century paintings, collections of white weapons and firearms, furniture from the 16th and 19th centuries from the collections of the Buonconsiglio Castle Museum in Trento, of which Stenico Castle is a detached site. The restoration work carried out in the '80s in the Chapel of San Martino has brought to light a wonderful cycle of medieval frescoes of recognized value and sculptures dating as tall medieval. The Judgemt Room lit only by loopholes and the Council Room with frescoes from the 15th century deserve a visit.
Reduced: 5.00€ (People aged of 65 years and over, groups of visitors, recognised as such by the museum, comprising at least 15 paying visitors, associates or members of public and private organisations recognised by the museum)
Redueced Young (Visitors aged 15 to 26 years old): 4.00€
- From Tuesday 6 November 2017 to Sunday 25 March 2018 opening only on Saturdays and Sundays at 9.30 am - 5.00 pm
- From Tuesday March 27, 2018 to Sunday 29 April 2018 and from Tuesday 30 October 2018 to Sunday 4 November 2018 Opening from Tuesday to Sunday, from 9.30 am to 5.00 pm
- From Tuesday 1 May 2018 to Sunday 28 October 2018 opening from Tuesday to Sunday, time 10.00 am - 6.00 am
- Monday: April 2, 2018, April 30, 2018, December 24, 2018, December 31, 2018
- From Saturday December 22 2018 to Sunday January 6 2019
Closed on all non-festive Monday, 25 December and 1 January.
The Castle of Stenico is 35 km from Trento and can be reached along the national road n. 45 bis for Tione up to Ponte Arche. Then follow the directions.
For further information
Castello di Stenico
Stenico (TN - Valli Giudicarie)
Tel (+39) 0465 771004