Dated back to 1300, the castle had been modified by Venetians but still keeps its original medieval aspect.
After many years of restorations, the castle houses the Italian Historical War Museum, open to the public.
The castle rises on a hill that dominates the ancient core of the city of Rovereto. It was built by the Castelbarcos in the XIV century on a pre-existent fort, to control the valley beneath. The castle was then rebuilt by the Venetian Republic only for military purposes in the XVI century. To this latest is due the current aspect of the castle and the walk with the cannons and the towers. It has in fact been designed by well-known architects in the period of the revolution of the war firearms.
Rovereto town council is proprietor of the castle and has organized the Italian Historical War Museum, one of the most important in Italy. Founded in 1921, the Museum collects hundreds of relics, pictures and evidences. Many rooms are dedicated to the battles and the soldiers that fought; the museum keeps also common object that helped soldiers to survive.
We thank APT Trentino for the collaboration.
For further information: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com