Castel Roncolo is located in South Tyrol, not far from the center of Bolzano, at the entrance to the Val Sarentino. Of medieval origin, the castle is nicknamed "Maniero Illustrato" for the beautiful cycle of frescoes on the life and the courtly culture kept inside. Today Castel Roncolo, besides being a place of visit among the splendid painted rooms, offers a courtyard for weddings, theatrical performances and concerts, as well as offering exquisite delicacies at the inner tavern.
The first testimonies about the existence of the castle are dated back to 1237. Family Vanga wanted to built it at the beginning of Val Sarentina/Sarntal in order to better control the area.
In 1385 it was rebuilt by the burghers of Bolzano/Bozen who decorated it with precious frescoes. It was then completely restored in the XIX century by the emperor Franz Joseph, who gave it to the town of Bolzano.
A further restoration in 2000 had brought the castle to its original splendour, reopening it to the public. The history of the castle is stormy, and after it changed hands many times, it reached its climax in the romantic period. The castle became the destination of many painters, artists and poets that needed a new inspiration.
Castle Roncolo attracts many visitors from all over the world thanks to its frescoed rooms with pictures dated back to the XV century. Worth a mention are Tristan and Isolde room, the Tournament room and the Blazons room.
The well-known frescoes are in the Western Palace and depicts themes from the knight tradition such as tournaments, hunting scenes, ladies and knights... The frescoes had probably been painted by Verona artist in 1388. In the Summer Palace there are other frescoes dedicated to the Heroes and modified in the XVI century by Marx Reichlich.
The Parapet Walk of Roncolo Castle
In 2009 the parapet walk was reopened to the public in the front of the manor. Dating back to the beginning of the 16th century, in April 1520 the entrance gate and adjacent buildings were destroyed by a violent explosion. By 1531 the entrance gate, the city walls and the parapet walk with its entrance above the entrance door were completely rebuilt. Between 1884 and 1888 the walk was equipped with a new roof and between 1995 and 2000 was completely restored.
5.50€ (students, seniors over 65, groups of 10 people)
Family ticket (2 adults and 2 children under 14 years): 16.00€
Guided tour: 2.70€ per person
Scholars: 2.50€ per schoolchildren
Opening times 2019
Winter opening times:
Until March 14, 2019
from Tuesday to Sunday from 10 am to 5 pm
Summer opening times:
from March 15 to November 1st, 2018
from Tuesday to Sunday from 10 am to 6 pm
Closed: Mondays (except on bank holiday), on Christmas (Dec 24 - 25), New Year’s Eve and New Year
How to get there
The castle can be reached in about half an hour by foot from Bolzano, along the green Lungotalvera promenade, or by bike through the cycle path. Connections also with the 12th line bus and with the free shuttle from Piazza Walther.
For further information
Via S. Antonio, 15 - Bolzano
Tel. (+39) 0471 329808