The castle was built in 1140 by the Lords of Rodank and later in the XVI century, transformed by the Wolkenstein into one of the most imposing fortresses in all the territory. It is still possible to admire the drawbridges, the crenellated towers, the inside courtyard and the draw-well machinery that put the visitor into a medieval atmosphere.
Inside are worth a visit the Armour room and the chapel dedicated to Saint Michael. Moreover the castle contains a cycle of impressing old frescoes dedicated to Iwein's dynasty, dated back to the period of Hartmann von Aue's knights. These frescoes, probably belonging to the XIII century, depict the adventures of Iwein from the German translation of Chretièn de Troyes' poem, according to the taste of the period.
Reduced (children from 6 to 10 years): 2.00€
Free children under 6 years
Opening times 2018
Open daily from June 1 to October 15 , Saturday closed. Guided tours at 11.30 and 14.30. From 15 July to 31 August guided tours from 3.30 pm.
For further information
Villa 1, Rodengo (BZ)
Tel. (+39) 0472 454056