Stenico is one of the oldest castles in Trentino, and is an important example of the evolution of a stronghold. Through the centuries, the castle had became a symbol of the temporal power of the bishops, second only to the Buonconsiglio Castle in Trent.
The first document where the castle is mentioned is dated back to 1163.
This wonderful example of medieval architecture rises upon Stenico village.
For many centuries it guarantees the political and military power of the prince government on the Giudicarie area. Through the centuries it changed a lot and it shows evidences of different periods with influences from the XI to the XIX centuries.
In the Middle Ages it had been property of the bishop prince Enrico of Metz (XIV century), of the prince Giovanni Hinderbach (XV century) and, during the Renaissance, of the cardinal Bernardo Cles, to whom the frescoes in the Renaissance style are due.
Nowadays the castle gathers many different materials: XVI and XVIII century pictures, steel weapon and firearms collections, furniture of the XVI-XIX centuries and important frescoes and sculptures, found in the San Martino chapel, inside the castle area.