Moos Castle

Castel Moos (also known as Schulthaus, from the family that lived there) rises in the Oltradige area, above the town of San Michele near Appiano.

The building, we see today, characterized by a mixture of different architectural styles, is the result of numerous renovations and changes made over the centuries. The watchtower, which is the oldest part of the Moos Castle, was transformed into a hunting lodge in 1356 and, following further expansion in 1550 and 1650, the building became the home of the Schulthaus family until 1850.

After passing into the hands of a peasant family, in 1958 the Walzen Amonn from Bozen bought Moos Castle and started a meticulous restoration work: a series of frescoes dating back to the 15th century were discovered and the structure of the building was brought back to its original form.

In the early 80's the Foundation named after Walther Amonn was born, in order to open the castle to the public as a museum.

Today in the Moos Castle in Appiano you can admire the fifteenth-century frescoes with hunting scenes and the very ancient depiction of the "War of Cats and Mice". The bedroom with original late-Gothic furnishings and richly decorated walls and the Gothic "Stube" from the early 16th century, with a barreled ceiling and carved wooden beams.
In the small stube where the servants of the Schulthaus family used to stay, the work tools of the period are kept and, climbing down in the cellar, there are some paintings by Tyrolean artists of the first half of the twentieth century.

Tickets

7.00 Euros (adults) free for kids under 6 years
5.00 Euros (children from 6 to 12 years, students, seniors over 65)
Free for kids under 6 years

Opening times

From Easter to October 2018, only guided visits
Guided tours from Tuesday to Saturday at 10 am, 11 am, 3 pm and 4 pm
From early June guided tours also on Sundays (upon request)
Closed on Mondays

For further information
Castel Moos Schulthaus
via Palù, 4, Appiano
Tel.: (+39) 0471 660139