Ivano Castle is one of the most interesting and best preserved castles of Trentino. Famous and remembered by many legends of the place, it is located in Ivano Fracena in Valsugana, near Trento, surrounded by a vast park with many species of flowers and a wildlife reserve.
It can be visited on the occasion of cultural events or by booking. It is the home of the "Castel Ivano Incontri" Cultural Center which organizes prestigious contemporary art exhibitions and international conferences in its halls. It is also the perfect location to celebrate your fairytale wedding at any time of the year.
The two courts, internal and external, lend themselves to organize ceremonies, buffets or outdoor lunches. The Internal Court is the most ancient and collected of the manor, while the External of Old Barm (Vecchio Fienile), dominated by the medieval tower, presents an evocative small church.
Even the many indoor rooms of different sizes and characteristics are perfect for organizing private parties, conventions, workshops, exhibitions and events at any time.
The Tour of the Prisons is very impressive: the prison is still present today with its original doors.
The first attestation of Ivano Castle in Valsugana dates back to 1187 with a reference to the Lord of Ivano.
Many were the noble families that followed each other over the centuries as owners of the fortress, among which the most important is that of the Da Carrara, Lords of Padua: on the tower, in fact, is the family crest, a stylized wagon of 1345, which contributes to increasing the historical value of the castle, placing it at the center of one of the most important chapters of medieval history.
At the end of the 14th century, Castel Ivano underwent numerous modifications, starting from the Gothic interventions by the archduke captains, ending with those suffered in the 17th century by the Wolkenstein family.
Belonging to the Wolkenstein family, in 1913 Castel Ivano was ceded to the castle administrator Franz Staudacher of Brunico, who began renovating to restore Castel Ivano to its past splendor.
The Staudacher are still today owners of the manor and continue the conservation work. The quadrangular grandeur of the Romanesque conception of the mastio with gothic inserts emerges on the two main buildings, the "Palazzo di Qua" and the "Palazzo di Là".
Over the years, the manor has welcomed several famous personalities, such as Eleonora Duse, the treatrical actress of prose, and General Carlo Alberto Dalla Chiesa. Many others have visited Castel Ivano, just to name a few: the German composer Richard Wagner, to whom a room is dedicated, Count Antonio Maria Wolkenstein, the well-known Caldonazzo painter Eugenio Prati, Don Giuseppe Grazioli and the Italian recording and screenwriter Ermanno Olmi.
The Castle can be visited only by reservation.
From the second Saturday of June to the second Sunday of September, upon reservation:
- From Tuesday to Friday, time to be agreed
- Saturday and Sunday, possibility to book the visit starting at 10.30 am, 2.30 pm or 4.00 pm
For further information
Via al Castello, 1
Tel. +39 0461 763432