Castle Forte/Trostburg lies in Val Gardena, above the town of Waidbruck. Its german name comes from the Trostburgs, the family that ordered its construction in the XII century in order to control the Gardena and the Isarco Valleys. Originally the castle was intended as a ministerial castle and during the centuries was modified many times, starting from the extension of its wings in the XIV and XV centuries wanted by the counts of Wolkenstein, owners of the castle from 1385 to 1967. Since 1967, the castle is owned by the Südtiroler Burgeninstitut Association.
The castle as it is nowadays is a typical example of XVI century fortified residence enriched with outside Renaissance decorations. There are some rooms with original furnishings.
The Knights room with the decorated ceiling is certainly worth visiting, as well as the gothic stube, the chapel and the winepress, the biggest in South Tyrol.
Furhtermore the different exhibition rooms of the castle and the Wolkenstein family tree are very suggestive. It is also possible to visit the permanent exhibition dedicated to the life and works of Oswald von Wolkenstein, a much-travelled famous late-Medieval poet, who spent part of his life there.
We thank Alto Adige APT for the collaboration.
For further information: email@example.com