Trauttmansdorff Castle is one of the most beloved castles in Europe. It is located in the environs of Merano and hosts the Touriseum (South Tyrol Museum of Tourism), a restaurant and the huge Sissi's garden, with four garden worlds including over eighty different botanical landscapes. This castle was made famous by Sissi, the Emperess of Austria.
The history of Trauttmansdorff Castle goes back to the Middle ages: the building was mentioned for the first time in the 14th century as the Neuburg estate. The structure of this oldest part can still be observed in the south-west side.
The castle was bought by Nikolaus von Trauttmansdorff in 1543. Anyway, it was abandoned after two generations because the family had no male heir.
The ruin of the castle was discovered in 1846 by count Joseph von Trauttmansdorf: he decided to renovate it in a neo-Gothic style, introducing it for the first time in a Tyrolean fortress.
At the end of the 19th century, the Austrian Empress Elisabeth decided to choose it as her winter residence: this made the castle very famous and turned the city of Merano in a fashionable location. The Emperess also gave her name to the castle gardens (Sissi's gardens).
The Trauttmansdorff estate was bought by Baron von Deuster in 1897: he renovated the eastern wing of the castle in neo-Rococo style and changed the general appearance of the building.
After the First World War, the castle took the name of "Castle di Nova" and assumed by the soldiers' association "Opera Nazionale per I combattenti". During the Second World War, the Castle was used by the German troops as a warehouse.
The end of the war was followed by a long decay, which lasted until the 80s, as the property of the estate was assumed by the Autonomous Province of Bolzano: the creation of the botanical garden was planned, and was completed in 2001. The façade of the castle was restored in 2002, as well as the chapel, the crypt, the big hall, the empress' rooms on the second floor...
Nowadays, these rooms can be admired visiting the Touriseum: the first museum in the Alps which is consecrated exclusively to the history of tourism. Sissi's Gardens can be also visited: there you can admire wonderful plants and have relaxing walks.
1st April - 15th October: 9 am - 7 pm (last admittance: 5.30 pm)
16th October - 31st October: 9 am - 6 pm (last admittance: 4.30 pm)
1st November - 15th November: 9 am - 5 pm (last admittance: 3.30 pm)
Fridays in Juniu, Juli and August. 9 am - 11 pm (last admittance: 9.30 pm)
Via S. Valentino, 51 a
Tel. +39 0473 235730