The starting point is in Bolzano. Before leaving, however, the old town centre and, according to the timetable, maybe the Archaeologic Museum, are worth visiting.
Enter the main road s.s. 12 in the direction of Bressanone/Brixen and continue towards Val d'Ega. The first gully at the beginning of the valley is one of the most romantic ravines in South Tyrol. Drive to Ponte Nova, Nova Levante , and after 6 km you find the Carezza Lake, one of the nicest lakes in the Dolomites, where the Latemar and Catinaccio mountain chains reflect.
Our route continues to Passo Costalunga and, just before the top it turns left towards Passo Nigra. Then descend to Tires (1020 m): this town is immersed in the verdant pastures and boasts a breathtaking view on the Catinaccio chain.
Past the hamlet turn right towards Fiè allo Sciliar.
Here you can see the Sciliar Plateau in the distance, one of the most fascinating places in the Dolomites, that opens in all his majesty with the little hamlets and the mountain churches. Near it there is the Alpe di Siusi, with many pastures and woods.
The first stop is in Seis, past Fiè allo Sciliar, with the castle Castel Prèsule, an imposing building with seven towers, built on an ancient XII-century manor.
During the stop in Siusi you can visit two ancient churches: St. Valentine church is enriched by absolutely wonderful XIV-century frescoes, whereas St Vigil church dates back to 1353.
In order to reach Ortisei, the second stage of the itinerary, you must drive along 27 km of a very binding uphill road, via Castelrotto, a Ladin hamlet with ancients traditions. The Calvary chapels, obtained from the ruins of an old fort, is an excellent example of the history of this village.
Along the road that leads to Ortisei you can have a further stop in Rifugio Bellavista. The Refuge lies at 1884 m and the view it allows will reward you of the 10 km-bends and the 900 metre drop necessary to get there.
In Ortisei, well known for its arts and crafts and the winter sports, it is worth visiting the Museum of Val Gardena in the "Cësa di Ladins" and the church of San James/Sankt Jacob at about one km and a half from the town, where you can admire frescoes of the '400. Past Ortisei you reach Selva di Val Gardena/Wolkenstein, an international resort.
Drive now uphill for 12 km towards Plan de Gralba at 1780 m. Climbing to PassoSella, bends and hairpin bends are more and more frequent and will give moments of pure fun to expert drivers. Now you can decide to continue to Passo Pordoi or take an alternative route. In both cases you get to Arabba, but the second one allows you to enjoy the Marmolada via Passo Fedaia, at 2057 m, and Alleghe, a friendly tourist resort at the foot of the Civetta.
As you get to Arabba, well-known for its ski area, you have to continue to Passo Campolongo, and then climb up to Corvara, a true jewel of the Alta Badia famous for winter sports and the fine cuisine. From here you have to drive uphill again along hairpin bends towards Passo Gardena/Grödnerjoch. After a panoramic stop with a view on the Sella Group you have to go back to Ortisei/St Ulrich and then turn to Ponte Gardena/Waidbruck, in order to get to Bolzano/Bozen, arrival of our journey.
- Starting point in Bolzano/Bozen, enter the SS 12 to Bressanone.
- Enter the Val d'Ega road.
- Continue towards Ponte Nova (at the crossing you can turn and go to Obereggen).
- Drive to Nova Levante and to the Carezza Lake.
- Before getting to Passo di Costalunga, turn left to Passo Nigra.
- Continue to Tires/Tiers - past the hamlet turn right to Fiè allo Sciliar.
- Past Fiè allo Sciliar, turn in the direction of Siusi/Seis.
- From Siusi turn to Rifugio Bellavista/Schönblick (possibile detour).
- Drive back to Siusi and continue to Castelrotto/Kastelruth.
- Turn to Ortisei/St Ulrich, then continue to Selva Val gardena/Wolkenstein.
- Enter the SS 242 to Plan de Gralba and cross the Passo di Sella/Sellajoch.
- 1 option: at the end of the descent turn to Canazei and enter the SS 641 to Passo di Fedaia. Go downhill towards Alleghe and enter the SS 203, getting to Rocca Pietore, towards Passo Falzarego and Cortina d'Ampezzo. In Cernadoi, at the crossing with the SS 48, turn to Arabba.
- 2 option: at the end of the descent turn to Passo Pordoi/Pordoijoch along the SS 48.
- Continue to Arabba.
- From Arabba turn towards Passo di Campolongo and continue to Corvara and Badia/Abtei.
- Continue along the SS 243 that leads to Passo di Gardena/Grödner near Plan de Gralba.
- Turn into the SS 242 towards Ortisei/Sankt Ulrich in Gröden.
- Continue alond the SS 242 to Ponte Gardena/Waidbruck.
- Pass the river Isarco/Eisack and drive back to Bolzano/Bozen.